PlayStation Ends PC Ports of Major Single-Player Exclusive Games

In a major shift of strategy, PlayStation has reportedly decided to stop the port of its major single-player exclusive games to PC. Hermen Hulst, the chief executive of Sony's Studio Business Group, reportedly told staff that PlayStation Studios would cease releasing narrative single-player games on personal computers. 
 

PlayStation Ends PC Ports of Major Single-Player Exclusive Games
By Olivia Davis   |   May 19, 2026

The decision ends an era that had seen beloved PlayStation exclusives slowly come to PC players over the last several years and is a notable reversal of the multiplatform approach the company had been taking.

What Games Are Affected
This change is specifically for PlayStation Studios' single-player narrative games. So games like Ghost of Yotei and Saros will be console-exclusive forever now. Games built around online multiplayer, such as the upcoming Marathon and Marvel Tokon, apparently fall under an exception to the new policy and will continue to release across multiple platforms.
 

Crucially, the decision does not apply to games where PlayStation has paid for exclusivity agreements from outside developers. That said, there is still a chance that a title like Death Stranding 2: On The Beach could be ported to PC, as it is published by PlayStation but developed by an external studio.


Fueled by Lower PC Sales Than Expected
The official reason for the strategic reversal is poor commercial performance. PlayStation's most recent PC releases have reportedly not met the company's sales expectations, leading to internal doubts over whether the effort and investment required to port games to PC are generating sufficient returns.

The underwhelming results seem to have tipped the scales in favor of going back to a more traditional console-exclusive strategy, favoring hardware sales over the wider reach a multiplatform strategy can provide.


Console Price Hikes Add to the Pressure
The decision also comes amid a decision by PlayStation to raise the price of its consoles in March, a move that will have sharpened concerns within the company about whether customers might be deterred by the rising cost of console gaming. By keeping big exclusive games on PlayStation hardware, the company is effectively creating a better reason for fans of those games to buy a console rather than waiting for a PC version.

This is similar to the strategy that has worked well for Nintendo throughout its history, keeping its biggest franchises tied closely to its own hardware platforms. That's also a stark contrast to the direction Xbox has taken in recent years, which has been to release its studios' games across as many platforms as possible.


The end of PC ports leaves many gamers disappointed.
The news is a serious blow to the large community of PC players who had come to rely on eventually being able to play PlayStation exclusives on their platform of choice. In the old model, PC gamers would typically have to wait at least a year after a console version of a game was released before a port was available, and some games would take much longer.

That wait was understood to be a deliberate strategy to incentivize early hardware purchases while still capitalizing on a second wave of sales and renewed public interest when the PC version eventually launched. That extra revenue boost will now be completely lost for single-player titles.


Saros and Ghost of Yotei are among the casualties.
Ghost of Yotei and Saros are two of the most high-profile casualties of the new policy. Sucker Punch Productions' Ghost of Yotei had been anticipated to receive a PC release, given the success of its predecessor, Ghost of Tsushima, which launched on PC in 2023.

A lot of players expected the sequel to follow a similar trajectory. Saros, a roguelike third-person shooter, had generated a special interest from the PC community, with players actively requesting a port and noting the potential for user-created mods to aid the game's noted difficulty level. With the new policy, neither title looks like it will ever see the light of day on PC for players.


What does this mean for the long-term strategy of PlayStation?
The decision to step away from PC ports is a recommitment to PlayStation hardware as the primary, and often exclusive, home for the company's most important games. Whether this approach will work in boosting console sales or if it will simply alienate some of the gaming audience who had been used to getting access to PlayStation's catalogue remains to be seen. What's clear is that the era of PlayStation gradually opening its library to PC players, one of the more welcome developments of this current console generation, now appears to be coming to a close.
 

1XBET